Open Call for Mail Art
Theme: “Sideshow Slideshow”
Deadline extended to August 31, 2019!
This is an open call for submissions of all forms of mail art for the Second Annual Mail Art Trade/Show at Red Garage Studio, an alternative gallery space in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
Any analog media, any format. Postcards, artist stamps, ATC’s, decorated envelopes, pop-ups, collages, whatever you can get here through USPS. Everything received that relates to the stated theme and accords to the guidelines outlined below will be exhibited. Go wild!
The in-person exhibition will be part of Red Garage Studio’s Free Fall show, which will run September 13-29. Online documentation will also be available for viewing through the Red Garage Studio website and/or Facebook page from late September through the end of the year.
There are no fees, no jury, and no return of work. However, if you live in the US and include $3 to cover mailing costs, another artist’s submission (chosen at random) will be sent to you at the end of the show! Participating in the exchange aspect of this call is not required, but a fun way to trade and receive original artworks!
This year’s theme is “Sideshow Slideshow.” All submissions must relate to the stated theme in some way, though how you interpret the theme is up to you.
Deadline: All submissions must by received by Saturday, August 31, 2019
• Pretty much anything goes as far as format and media, as long as it is original, handmade work relating to the stated theme. No photocopies or digital work.
• Must arrive by USPS.
• One submission per artist.
• Individual artwork may not exceed 12”x12” (30 cm x 30 cm) or equivalent area, 1 sq. ft. (900 sq. cm) For example, a piece 24”x6” or 3”x48” would also be fine, since total area is 1 sq. ft.
• Red Garage Studio welcomes art that is challenging and provocative, however no work that promotes racist, misogynistic, homophobic, or otherwise hateful messages will be included in any shows here.
How to submit:
• All entrants must provide (clearly written) their name and email address.*
• If you would like to participate in the exchange aspect of this show you must also include your mailing address.
• If you would like to share a website, IG account, etc with the public, include that too.
• All this information can be enclosed in your mail art envelope or written directly on the piece.
• Submissions should be mailed to the following address:
Red Garage Studio
3640 Garfield Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55409
• You will receive a confirmation email when your work arrives.
[Note: Contact info is required to fulfill the logistical needs of administering this show and related communications. It will not be otherwise shared or used for any kind of advertisements. Unless integrated into the artwork itself, personal contact information will not be visible online.]
How to participate in the exchange aspect:
• If you submit a piece to this show and would like another artist’s work in return, please include (clearly written!) your mailing address plus $3 (US) to cover costs.
• A piece will be chosen at random and mailed to you sometime in late September or early October.
Direct questions to: email@example.com.