Open Call for Mail Art
Deadline Extended to August 24, 2018!
This is an open call for submissions of all forms of mail art for Red Garage Studio’s First Annual Mail Art “Trade Show,” a mail art exhibition and exchange.
Any analog media, any format. Postcards, artist stamps, ATC’s, decorated envelopes, pop-ups, collages, whatever you can get here through USPS. Everything received that relates to the stated theme and accords to the guidelines outlined below will be exhibited. Go wild!
The in-person exhibition will run September 7-16, with online documentation available for viewing through the Red Garage Studio website and/or Facebook page from late September through the end of the year.
Anyone can submit work. No fees, no jury, and no returns. However, if you include $3 to cover mailing costs, another artist’s submission (chosen at random) will be sent to you at the end of the show! Participating in the exchange aspect of this call is not required, but a fun way to trade and receive original artworks!
Keep reading for all the details, including guidelines and how to submit!
This year’s theme: Escape
The word “Escape” can be interpreted in any way you want. It can be thought of as a verb or a noun, and any of its uses or meanings is fair game.
All submissions must be postmarked and received by Friday, August 24, 2018.
• Pretty much anything goes as far as format and media, as long as it is original, handmade work relating to the stated theme of “Escape.” No photocopies or digital prints, however original photography fine.
• Must arrive by USPS.
• Artists may submit more than one mail artwork, but each must be mailed and received separately.
• Red Garage Studio welcomes art that is challenging and provocative, however no work that promotes racist, misogynistic, homophobic, or otherwise hateful messages will be included in any shows here.
How to submit:
• All entrants must provide (clearly written) your name and email address.*
• If you would like to participate in the exchange aspect of this show include your mailing address* and $3 as well.
• If you want to include a website, IG account, etc that you would like to share with the public, let us know that too.
• All this information can be included in your mail art envelope, or if you are sending a postcard, email the information to email@example.com. Remember to clearly identify which piece(s) you are referring to.
[Note: Contact info is required to fulfill the logistical needs of administering this show and related communications. It will not be otherwise shared or used for any kind of advertisements. Unless integrated into the artwork itself, personal contact information will not be visible online.]
How to participate in the exchange aspect:
• If you submit a piece to this show and would like another artist’s work in return, please include (clearly written!) your mailing address plus $3 to to cover costs.
• A piece will be chosen at random and mailed to you sometime in late September or early October.
• If you submit multiple pieces to the exchange, each must be mailed separately with its own $3.
All submissions should be mailed to the following address:
Allison Ruby/Red Garage Studio
3640 Garfield Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55409
You will receive a confirmation email when your work arrives.
Direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org